 |
| I thought the flowers deserved this, Gems |
Finally found a place to use the Internet! An internet cafe just round the corner from where I live! Where to start... Thanks to GF and family for having me over on the night before I was flying to Russia, I had a great time there! The plane journey was uneventful, apart from a couple of Russians staring at me for the duration of the journey . We landed at 7:45 and were met at the airport by Elena who escorted us and a group of three belgians to the halls where we're staying - first impression is that its an absolute dump, the walls are coming apart, cracked tiles and crumbling paint. We went in, I was assigned to room 405 and found that my roommate had already moved in, a really nice belgian chap, AB who is also staying for 10 months, although two of the belgians whom he's here with are staying only for 5 months - at three we got a tour of the university, mostly consisting of signing pieces of paper and filling out forms. Took ages to get it all done, and was completely wiped out by the end of it all! I understood all of nothing. The worst thing here is the driving - people have no idea at all of how to drive - crossing the road is a question of closing your eyes and hoping that you wont get knocked down as you go. Sleep was also difficult as there were no curtains and the bedding was uncomfortable.
 |
| View from my bedroom window |
Today I went back to uni and got some more things sorted, then went back to the dormitory to get some more stuff and pick up a girl who arrived last night to show her around (I never asked for this, it appears that it was thrust upon me by one of the heads, which I resent, I've only been here a day, I'm hardly best qualified to show someone around the place!) Contrary to what I had hoped, but not entirely unexpected, we had a crash on the bus whilst en route to the university - a car pulled out at the same time as the bus, and they gave each other a mighty bump which sent everyone bar those who like me had the good sense to hold on tight. Had to change bus, ended up getting lost, which led to us arriving at our lessons late - the russian was not that far above my level, but the american girl was lost and confused, not knowing a word of Russian herself... got a tonne of homework as well, which was annoying. Everyone else in my class is Korean, and so I understand very little of what goes on around me.
 |
| Luís and I in Harat's Pub |
Got back home feeling knackered again, but then went upstairs to meet the two spanish guys who live upstairs, and then went out to Harat's Pub, where I am at the moment to use the Wifi Internet. Still sitting here with Luís (photo indented). I've been invited to two parties, but am not intending to go, I feel a bit ill, and don't really know the people who invited me... Its also raining quite heavily at the moment so I'm not all that keen to do anything... Now just a question of deciding what to do with the rest of my evening! (Luís has posted a link to my blog on his blog, so I think its only fair that I do the same! :
http://telefonorojo.blogspot.com/ - you'll be able to know what I get up to - all in Spanish also!
Wow, Danny, you're bloody brave I'll tell you that! Sounds exciting though, and after a few more days I'm sure you'll settle in fine. Please keep updating (when you've got time in between all your homework of course!), it's nice to know what you're up to :) xx ps. Have you bought a sufficiently warm hat yet?!
ReplyDelete