Saturday, 27 August 2011

Less than a week to go!

Now that the exam I had to re-sit is over, I'm finally relaxing and becoming ever so slightly nervous about the journey!  Yesterday I started to sort out most of the final details, I went up onto campus relatively early and got my third (and last) rabies jab, this time from a different nurse. Sadly, this meant that, seeing as I'm leaving before the Student Health Centre opens again, I had to pay them £120 for the entire rabies course. I had a very long wait, but even when I did leave, the rain was falling quite heavily and even on the short run from the Student Health Centre to Northcott House I got completely drenched.

Once at Northcott House, I paid for my insurance, a further £245 or so. I also asked the finance services to send the bills for the university fees home seeing as I wont be as able to pay for it from abroad. Good news is that for the year abroad we DO only pay half fees - we were told about this before now, but now that I've had confirmation from the finance office, its quite pleasing to hear! My exam results should also hopefully be out in the next couple of weeks, so that will be one more thing to take off my mind.

Today I also received the letter from RBS telling me about banking for people traveling abroad. Its quite nice that the woman at RBS remembered that I'd requested this and sent the booklet off to me as soon as she could. Also received an e-mail from the university informing us what students going abroad would have to do as assessment for the Year Abroad. They helpfully, however, pointed out that this was not applicable for "those who are on university exchanges for the whole year". So far I have yet to understand how exactly they intend to handle the marking for this year...

Having gone to granddads' the other day, I now have a few roubles stored in my room for ease of access when we arrive in Russia. Apparently dollars and maybe even euros are fairly handy as currency out there, so I'll be taking some euros at the very least and hope I don't get mugged before I get on the plane!

Seeing as the date of departure is moving inexorably closer, I have also printed off my e-ticket for the flights from Heathrow to Moscow and from Moscow to Irkutsk, as well as train tickets from Exeter to Chelmsford for this coming Tuesday. I was also quite glad to hear that MM finally got her visa sorted out so I wont be traveling out to Irkutsk on my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment